Laughter is the best medicine in the world.Milton Berle
Laughing is one of the best forms of therapy that not only heals the soul but also cures the body. It is the cheapest medicine in the world that has the power to relaxes the body, boosts the immune system, and relieves the physical tension. Another interesting and amazing fact about laughter is that ” laughter is good for heart health “
Laughing reduces the risk of heart attack, heart diseases, and stroke as it maintains the health of endothelium. When a person laughs, the blood flow and blood pressure increase but it drops back when he/she stops laughing. This way laughing helps in balancing the blood pressure of the body. It also helps in improving breathing rate which in turn improves the oxygenated blood supply.
Today, on this World’s Laughter Day, we are here with some surprising facts that show laughing is good for heart. We also discuss what different studies say about this link.
Laughter is Good For Heart: What Studies Say
- According to may studies, depression, social isolation, anger, and anxiety can increase the risk of cardiovascular disease. However, the reverse is also true. A sense of humor, happiness, and laughter is good for heart health. The American Heart Association says that good laughter lowers the stress hormones, reduces the inflammation in arteries, and increases the good cholesterol (HDL). All of these together help maintain heart health. The study also mentioned that the positive effect of laughter lasts for 24 hours.
- The endothelium is a thin lining of blood vessels that regulates the blood flow, secretes chemicals in response to infection and wound, and adjusts blood thickening. It plays an important role in heart health and developing heart disease. And, according to a study of A Maryland School of Medicine, laughing is connected to the healthy functioning of blood vessels which in turn improve the heart health. The study shows that when a person laughs, the endothelium expands and improves the blood flow rate. Most heart diseases are linked with reduced blood flow but thanks to hearty laughter, people can lower the risk of many serious heart illnesses.
- Another study conducted on recovered heart patients showed that patients who scored high on the test of depression, anger, and sadness were eight times at higher risk of death within 18 months compared to patients who are more optimistic.
- According to the Michael Miller director of the Center for Preventive Cardiology at the University of Maryland Medical Center, the reasons why laughter is good for heart is still unknown, but it is known that laughing reduces the stress which is linked with impairment of the endothelium.
- According to the article of the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), even after preventing many heart disease risk factors such as hypertension, hyperlipidemia, depression, obesity, etc., the prevalence of heart disease are 1.21 (95% CI, −1.03–1.41) times higher for people who never laughed than people who laughed regularly.
- According to the NCBI study reported by Adam et al, laughing regularly may also prevent coronary heart disease (CHD).
How Laughter Benefits Heart Health
If its been long time you really laughed, its time for you to laugh for the health of your heart and overall well being. Because, when you laugh, your heart will say a thank you and promise to be healthy 🙂
Here are some of the benefits of laughter for good heart health:
It decreases the risk of heart disease
Laughter is good for heart system and its functioning because it prevents the development of cholesterol, fat, and other substances build-up. Laughing relaxes the body and manage the blood pressure and blood flow.
Improve functioning of blood vessels
Laughter helps endothelium to expand and improve blood flow. People having healthy endothelium are at lower chances of developing atherosclerosis and other heart diseases.
Increase good cholesterol level
Most of the heart problem occurs due to the excess amount of bad cholesterol (LDL), but laughter has a positive effect on cholesterol. It increases the HDL level in the bloodstream and pushes back the LDL into the liver.
Reduces stress hormones
Stress is another leading cause of heart disease. It constraints the arteries and reduces the blood flow through the heart and body. But, the solution lies in your beautiful laughter. So, smile and laugh now!!
A good laughter increases the blood circulation and relaxes the muscles. It reduces the symptoms of stress and further heart disease as well.
Just like this World’s Laughter Day reminds you to be happy and laugh, we hope that our article is helpful and makes you realize that laughter is good for heart health as well. Your heart is also happy when you are happy.
So, always be happy and Laugh!!